Applications

I'm writing several funding applications at the moment. This post is a both a way of thinking about the process of applying for things, and also a way of taking a sneaky break.

When you apply for funding to make new work, your function as an artist is reduced to the hypothetical: what you might do in the future if you are given some money. Strangely enough, I find it easier to write applications if I use the future progressive tense (I will), as opposed to the future conditional tense (I would). It shouldn't really make much difference, but it feels more definite when I write about something I will do, rather than something I would do.

Also, for the proposal I am writing at the moment, I am representing the ARKA group, which means I can use 'We' instead of 'I'. Again, it shouldn't make much of a difference, but it does. If I write 'we', it feels as though the decision has been made for me, like it is more objective (or at least inter-subjective).

Actually, my favourite way of writing applications is using 'The ARKA group will', instead of 'We will'. This makes me feel like I'm the head of a secret institution that uses art as a way of influencing governments. That makes me feel more able to make complex theoretical statements and connect ideas that seem strange or unlikely.

---

Often, in applications, I use this blog as an example of my self-reflexive practice, and the way that I try and apply critical thought to every day life. So, just in case any of the funders are reading this, can I just reassure you all that I am not the head of secret institution that uses art as a way of influencing governments.